tisdag, oktober 16, 2007

Joan Didion, förordet

Fick precis Joan Didions nyskrivna förord i mejlen. Antologin med hennes artiklar/essäer/reportage kommer i vår. Ett smakprov ur förordet:

"This was what writing seemed to me then, a job of work done under pressure, a craft, but a craft that gave me inexplicable pleasure. It still does. Most of the pieces collected here, which were chosen not because they have any narrative relationship to one another but simply because for one reason or another I remember writing them as a satisfying experience, got produced under similarly crash circumstances. I remember trying to finish “Some Dreamers of the Golden Dream” in 1966 in order to pay our rent, which seemed at the time a daunting sum but was actually only (almost inconceivably, for a three-bedroom house on forty acres of oceanfront in Los Angeles County) $400 a month. I remember being consumed by anxiety on the day I went back to San Bernardino to check “Some Dreamers of the Golden Dream” against the transcript of the trial it describes, not because I doubted my own accuracy (although I did, I always did, I always do, I never sleep the night a piece closes, I get up and recheck it) but because we had a three-week-old baby and the day in San Bernardino was the first time she had been left with someone other than us."

Inga kommentarer: